The food waste of most fruits is their peels. In this article, you can find ways to recycle mandarin and orange peels. You will find some ideas to avoid it and tips that will help you reduce your food waste. Is the skin of oranges and tangerines rich in vitamins that protect the immune system against colds and flu? They contain four times more fibers than orange slices and are rich in flavonoids. . In addition, the peels are part of the fruit that is thrown away without thinking.
How many times have you eaten mandarins and oranges and discarded the peels? So what can we do with the peels after eating our fruit? Below is a great idea that is quick, easy and with many food combinations.
- 300 grams of mandarins / orange peels
- 200 grams of granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- Cut the peels into strips, boil them in the water of a saucepan and as soon as the water starts to boil, drain it and keep the juice in a bowl.
- Boil again and place the liquid in the bowl.
- Put the peels, 2 cups of water, 1 tablespoon of the juice we kept in the bowl and the sugar in the pan so that they are covered.
- When the water begins to boil, add the vanilla and lemon.
- Simmer until the mixture sets (the texture should be quite thick).
- Remove from the heat and put in a glass jar. The ideal is for it to be sterile.
The jam can be eaten with white wine, crackers and salty cheeses or in sweets like cheesecake.
Remove the juice from the first two boils as it tastes very bitter.
With the juice that we have preserved, we can make liquor, soap or even wax.
If you don’t want to go into this process of making jams and you have pots of flowers or spices, you can crush the rinds and use them as a natural fertilizer.